Here is a 5 grams carbs breakfast variation for number 1 on the breakfast menu. Portions: 3 – 4 pieces of bacon, 2 – 4 Flapjacks and a serving of mushrooms. Or swop the mushrooms for grated cheddar and make some “Bacon & Cheese Flappers! Ideal for grab and go or a lunch box in need of love!
Frittata Recipe :
- 12 eggs
- Kosher salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 red pepper, diced small
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- One 2 ounce package Ready Bacon, diced small
- One 6 ounce bag fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, approximately
- Sour cream & salsa to garnish
- Heat oven to 190 C
- Beat eggs in a large bowl, season with salt & pepper and set aside
- Heat large pan over medium and add coconut oil, garlic, red pepper and mushrooms
- Cook until peppers are crisp-tender – about 5 minutes
- Add bacon and spinach & cook until spinach has wilted down
- Remove from heat, and add to the eggs with Parmesan and stir well
- Pour into a buttered 9×9 casserole dish, top with a little more Parmesan and bake until set, 20-25 minutes – do not overcook…you don’t want it too dry
- Serve topped with sour cream and salsa. Makes 6 – 8 filling portions.
- You can make it the night before and pack in lunch boxes too.
- Make 101 different combo’s. I use whatever meat left -overs I have from a previous meal.
Chicken livers Recipe:
1 Small Tub of Chicken livers (thawed)
1 Cup of Cream
1 tsp Garlic
1tsp Dijon Mustard
1 tsp Turmeric
Squeeze Lemon Juice
Salt & Black pepper
2 Sprigs chopped Spring Onion
6 Chopped Mushrooms
6 Cherry tomatoes (optional)
1 tsp Psyllium Husks
1 Tbsp Coconut oil
1. Fry the chicken livers and spices in the coconut oil till brown and almost caramelized.
2. Saute the veggies with the livers for a few minutes. Add a tablespoon of water to get all the components to infuse.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients turn down the heat and simmer for a few minutes till thick and saucy.
4. You can buils your own flavour combination around the livers and cream. You can go spicy peri -peri or curry.
5. Do not eat chicken liver while pregnant!
Tomato Mini Pizza’s Recipe:
1. Slice the tomato and put half a teaspoon of pesto in the centre.
2. Cover with a mozzarella slice and give a quick grill.
Curried Chicken Salad Recipe:
Bacon & Cheese burgers on a stick:
These little patties are the size of a sliced cucumber round. In fact, I sometimes pack 2 of these little patties with two slices of cucumber and a cheese square for each patty. Kids love to assemble food.
For this little awesome burger, I simply stuck a toothpick through the patty, bacon and cheese square, and made it “poke-proof” by adding the tomato.
I always send a ziplock baggie with cucumber, red peppers and celery sticks. My kids call it burgers and veggie chips.
Now if you are wondering about the patties: I simply take pure beef mince (not the lean kind) roll it into a small meatball and press down. I fry this in coconut oil and only add some spices while in the pan. No need to mix in eggs and onion and whatever else… Just simple and straight forward. This should not take more than 8 minutes…start to finish.
This entire meal has less than 5 grams of carbs for 2 – 3 mini burgers and veggie chips.
Salami Roll – ups:
Low Carb Quiche:
Macadamia Bacon Bread:
- 4 cups raw cauliflower florets
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Cup grated Cheese
1. Steam Cauliflower until soft.
2. Add spices, butter and cream and gently stir through the florets.
3. Stir in half the cheese and allow to melt into the creamy mixture.
4. Dish into an oven proof dish. Add the last bit of cheese and place under the grill for a few minutes.
Green Bean salad:
1 Tin of Green beans
1 Tin of Asparagus
2 Tbsp Mayo
1/2 Cup of chopped Yellow pepper
Salt & Pepper
1. Simply assemble and gently mix.
Spinach – Cauli – Mash:
1 Cauliflower head -broken into florets
1 bag of baby spinach
2 Tbsp of butter
Salt & Black pepper
1. Steam Cauliflower and spinach in a little water till soft.
2. Pour off excess water.
3. Add butter and spices and mash till a fine consistency.
Mushroom Cream sauce:
1 Packet of mushrooms – sliced
1 Cup of cream
1 tsp Garlic
1/2 Cup of Cheese
Salt and black pepper to taste.
1. Saute Mushrooms in a small knob of butter or coconut oil.
2. Add spices and garlic
3. Add Cream and cheese. Stirr often and allow to simmer at a low heat.
4. Scoop a spoonful over a steak or chicken breast and enjoy!
500 – 700 grams of steak mince, rolled into ping -pong sized meatballs
Mixed herbs, salt and pepper
1 can of whole tomatoes in juice.
1 Tbsp Garlic
1 Tbsp Xylitol
50 ml cream
1 cup grated cheese
3 Tbsp Coconut oil.
1. Fry the meatballs in the coconut oil in a deep dish pot. Spice the meatballs in the pot.
2. As soon as the meatballs are browned on most sides, add the can of tomato, garlic and mixed herbsXylitol and vinegar.
3. Allow to simmer for a few minutes until the sauce infused all the meatballs. Add a bit of water if it cooks dry too fast.
4. Add the cream and simmer for a bit longer.
Scoop over ribboned baby marrows, shredded cabbage, cauli – mash or creamed spinach and top with cheese.
1/2 a Cabbage head, shredded roughly into wider strips.
3 Tbsp of butter
Salt or mixed herb salt and Black Pepper
1. Saute the cabbage in the butter at high heat. You want it to caramelize in the butter.
2. Add the spices
3. Serve more crunchy if you use this as a pasta replacement. Cook a bit longer if you want to serve it as a side dish.
4. Add bacon bits to jazz it up a bit for a more smokey flavoured side dish.
Thai Chicken Curry:
4 Chicken breasts – skin on, deboned and cut into strips or chunks.
1/2 Yellow pepper – cut into strips
1/2 Red pepper – cut into strips
1 Cup mushrooms of choice – sliced
1 Handful of Mange touts
5 Baby marrows – sliced
1 tsp Garlic
5-6 Lime leaves – dried
1 Can of Coconut cream.
1 Tbsp Green Curry paste/ Red Curry paste/ Pangang Curry paste
Herbed salt or salt & Black pepper.
1. Stir fry the chicken bits in coconut oil. Add spices.
2. Add all the veggies and saute
3. Add the coconut cream, lime leaves and curry paste
4. Simmer for 10 – 15 minutes on low heat.
5. Take out the lime leaves and chop up some fresh coriander leaves or spring onion and garnish after you dished it into a deep bowl.
6. Eat as is or on a bed of sauteed cabbage or green beans.
7. I sometimes a add a cup of water with the coconut cream and serve this dish as a soup.
8. You can exchange the meat for all kinds of meat cubes and vary veggies and curry bases to your hearts content.
This makes an awesome prawn curry too!
Chicken a-la-less carbs:
Creamy Acorn squash and Baby marrows:
2 Acorn Squash, thinly sliced
6 Baby marrows, sliced
3 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup cream
1 Tbsp xylitol
1 tsp cinnamon
1. Layer the squash and marrows in an oven proof dish.
2. Arrange chunks of butter evenly
3. Pour cream evenly
4. Sprinkle cinnamon xylitol over the dish.
5. Bake at 180C till squash is soft and browned with a caramel like sauce.
4 Cups shredded Cabbage
1 Cup Mayo or Banting Mayo.
Salt & Pepper to taste.
Curried Green beans:
2 Tomatoes – sliced
2 Sprigs of Spring Onion – chopped
1 Tbsp Balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp Olive oil
a good grind of Herb salt and Black pepper
Midnight snack in a Mug:
2 Minute Chocolate Mousse:
1 Cup Cream
1 Tsp Cacao
1 tsp Vanilla
1 Tbsp Xylitol
1. Blend together all the ingredients with a stick blender or whisk till stiff.
2. Yields 4 portions